Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2010

White mouse-

White mouse, white mouse, on the counter.
 Where just might
 be the summer?
 Has it left you
 in the cold?
 I am sorry...
What a bummer.

White mouse, white mouse, in the mousetrap.
Where is your spouse? 
Is he silver, is he gray? 
Will he be visiting us someday?

Your fur does make me wonder,
 Are there toxins here about?
Is there some other reason…
that I might see such a mouse?

I've seen the silver, brown and grey.
 I've seen them all before.
 But in this very day, 
I've found you on the floor. 
Your pelt is white with silver limbs, You body stiff and cold. 
And yet it seems I've found the rhythm of your heart...
Or so my mind is told.

White mouse, White mouse,
 I must confess.
I did not force you to this mess.
This is my house.
 And we have no use for such a mouse! 
This is my home, 
  Not a place for you to freely roam!

If you thought winter might be cold, 
With its ice and snow that does chill. 
Compare it now to your body,
 Hard and still.
And to the frozen grave you'll find.

I'm sorry for your loss.
But I warned you, 
Did I not?
While I'm glad to share my home,
With many poor and cold lost souls,
 You did not follow all the rules!

You were rude and made a racket,
 I lost hours of my sleep!
And over the counter you did peep,
I forgot you liked to creep!
Tipped the bottle from it's rack,
Tore a hole into this sack!
 You're making me a wreck!

Now these traps are for my safety.
 I would hate to fall and slip, 
On the puddle of your mess,
 When to the floor it could drip!

White mouse, White mouse,
 I hope you find a heaven. 
Yet before my house you do enter,
Be sure to ask my permission!

I saw a dead, light colored mouse in one of our mousetraps and I felt the sudden inspiration to write this poem.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. The feeling of the poem is that of merry admonishment, though slightly cold as well.
    Great work :)

    ReplyDelete